Short term Schengen visas (not exceeding 90 days period)
A visa is only a preliminary permission for entry, which does not authorize it’s bearer automatically to enter the country. The traveller may be requested to provide proof of the existence of the conditions of her/his entry and stay in Hungary and, if she/he is not able to fulfill this, she/he may be returned from the border.
Where to submit a visa application?
Schengen visa applications have to be submitted:
- at the representation of the country which is the main destination of the visit;
- if the applicant plans to visit more Schengen countries with the same purpose, applications should be lodged at the representation of the country with the longest duration of stay;
- if the main destination cannot be determined, the visa process shall be started by the consulate of the first Schengen country intend to be visited.
Submission of visa applications:
Applications shall be lodged no more than 6 months before the start of the intended visit, and, as a rule, not earlier than 15 calendar days before the start of the intended visit. In case there are less than 15 days to the intended date of departure, the application can only be accepted in exceptional and urgent cases.
Due to the abovementioned process time the Consulate does not take any responsibility for delayed submission and for therefore failed travels.
General requirements when applying for a short stay visa (C):
Please note, that following documents are needed in original and copy as well!
- Personal appearance due to biometric (fingerprint) enrollment above the age of 12;
- Completed and signed application form. The application form can be downloaded in English, Bulgarian and Russian languages.
- 1 passport photo (white background) - not older than 6 months;
- Valid passport (NOTE: the passport shall contain at least two blank pages, issued within 10 years before the submission of the visa application and it’s validity shall extend at least three months after the intended date of departure from the Schengen area);
- a certificate proving lawful stay, if the applicant is not a citizen of Bulgaria. Bulgarian ID cards (Lichna card) and ‘D’ type visas are accepted, however Bulgarian tourist (‘C’) visas are not;
- travel medical insurance valid throughout the territory of the Schengen area and covering the entire period of the applicant’s intended stay or transit. The minimum coverage shall be €30,000;
- Proof of accommodation (confirmation of a reserved and prepaid accommodation / a voucher / a letter of invitation issued and endorsed by the Hungarian Immigration and Asylum Office);
- Proof of financial means (bank statement from the last three months, employment contract, pension slip) – prooving to have sufficient financial coverage throughout the visit;
- Proof of transportation (paid return bus, or train ticket / a confirmed flight reservation / evidence of car ownership /“Talon”/ - authorization is needed if the applicant is not the owner);
- Documents indicating the purpose of the journey:
- Tourism: prepaid hotel reservation or certificate of the travel agency in case of organized trips
- Educational, training purpose: invitation letter from the receiving institution, proof of enrollment
- Business: letter of invitation from the business partner, certificate from employer, company documents
- Medical treatment: certificate from the receiving health institution
- Conference: invitation letter issued by the host organization, proof of registration
- Sport event: invitation letter issued by the host organization, proof of registration
Please note, that the Consulate can request further documents or certificates in addition to the ones already attached to the application!
Important! If you are a third country national family member of an EU/EEA citizen, please click here!
- Application for uniform visa (C): 157 BGN
- Children from the age of six years and below the age of 12 years: 79 BGN.
- Children under six years: waived
- The fee shall be paid in Bulgarian Leva (BGN).
- Payment can be made with a credit/debit card or via bank deposit/transfer.
- The visa fee shall be paid when the application is submitted.
- Visa fee is not refunded in case the application is rejected.